The ERS Group is the umbrella for a group of companies delivering products and services to support election and voter registration, governance and membership engagement. The largest and most established company in the Group – Electoral Reform Services is the leading independent provider of election services in the UK. The Group was acquired by Civica in December 2018.
When Marcie started working with ERS in 2016, the Group had recently agreed a new approach to branding. With limited resource in Marketing and Communications, the brief was initially focused on implementing the new branding across all collateral and the five websites, namely Electoral Reform Services, Xpress, MES, mod.gov and Shaws.
What we did
To complete the re-branding project, Marcie worked closely with the Group CEO and Managing Directors to develop new messaging for all five companies. While work was ongoing to develop the messaging, a separate technical audit of the Group’s websites led to agreement that they all needed to be refreshed. The project brief was extended, and Marcie worked as part-time Virtual Communications Director for approximately 18 months, providing support and direction to the Marketing Executive. Associate, Dan Richardson, provided support on the web project, with a specific focus on SEO (search engine optimisation).
- New messaging reinforced market leading status, highlighted USPs where applicable and supported cross-selling
- Four out of five websites were refreshed (2017) with new site architecture and optimised content
- Copy was written and edited to promote events and new products/services through the website and e-campaigns
- Electoral Reform Services’ engagement in LinkedIn and Twitter (managed by the Marketing Executive) was boosted with an increased focus on creating shareable content, researching hashtags and building lists
- New collateral was produced (in collaboration with ERS’ design and print teams) to promote the Mobile Canvassing App from Xpress
- Marcie worked with the CEO and HR Director to recruit a Marketing Manager
Sian Roberts, CEO commented:
It was great having Marcie’s input during such an important time in the Group’s development. Her work on messaging and the website project was formative but I also valued her strategic focus and flexible approach. Having an experienced person on a part-time basis was the perfect solution for us at the time. With The Foundry House working alongside our development team, costs with the web project were kept down and their willingness to mentor and up-skill Jess (our Marketing Executive) helped us build capacity in-house. Our marketing function is now growing and, as part of Civica Group since the end of 2018, we have embarked on the next stage of our development.
Jess Comerford, Marketing Executive said:
Marcie is clearly a very knowledgeable and experienced Marketing professional. I found working with her during the implementation of our new branding to be a great learning experience. Marcie helped us to develop a strategy for our very new and small marketing team and the tools she has equipped me with have been invaluable.